Pro Strongman, 2014 Strongman Corporation Middleweight Amateur National Championship, co-inventor of Spider Tack, and owner of Spider Strength Gym. Currently getting ready for America’s Strongest Man at the Olympia in Las Vegas, then if I qualify, World’s Strongest Man 105kg here in Raleigh, NC in December
We had a great time talking with James. Some of the topics we covered included:
- What weird strength parlor tricks do you do (rolling up frying pans, tearing phonebooks in half).
- What hobbies do you have outside of strongman?
- What got you into strength sports? Where did your lifting journey start?
- What was your inspiration or mentor in strength sports?
- Biggest strength numbers
- Any injuries that you had to deal with?
- How did you know that strongman was a good fit?
- How many hours a week would you train before a strongman competition?
- What do you take on a regular basis to supplement your training? How many calories do you eat off and on season? How can you afford to eat that much?
- Any funny stories or events that happened in your competition?
- What is your strongest implement/point maker event?
- Favorite training music?
- What was the most famous person that you were the most stoked to meet in your competing?
- If you could do something different in your training (wind the clock back) what would you do?I want to get into strongman…where should I start?
- What now do you want to do strength wise?
- What’s one thing that you want all lifters in the BBB to know or consider before getting into strength sports? (be able to justify your training)Common injuries specific to strongman as well as other health issues that someone might not consider (mental, addictions, etc)?
- What pet peeves do you have when it comes to training in a gym?
- What is one thing you have heard many lifters say that is WRONG/MYTH?